What is ego? There are two egos. The first helps us with our survival instincts. The second is the challenger, which is connected with our personality.
It is the one that tends to get us in trouble. It is very sensitive, and it is in place to help us grow and change unhealthy patterns, whether they are ancestral, environmental, or karmic from another lifetime. In Kabbalistic teachings, it’s called the challenger.
Questions to ask ourselves, and these questions are not designed to guilt you into beating you up because we have all been there.
- When I am triggered, what is my reaction? Often when we are about to turn a corner, there is a contraction to get us to get our acts together.
- How do I work out my nervousness? Do I pick fights?
- When someone calls me out on something, what is my reaction?
- Do I have goals for myself?
- Do I even know what I want out of life?
- How do I hold myself accountable?
- Do I have a reward system in place for myself?
- Do you need to justify changes?
- Do you over-explain yourself when it isn’t necessary?
- Do I blame others for how my life looks? This is a biggie.
Some suggestions to help overcome self-sabotage
- Take a sacred pause before reacting. Yes, you can change your thoughts and reactions.
- Work on your communication skillset. Do you listen to reply, or are you present when dialoguing with others?
- Live by the 4 Agreements:
- Be Impeccable With Your Word
- Always Do Your Best
- Don’t Make Assumptions
- Don’t Take Anything Personally
- Pay attention to your inner dialog.
- Keep up that regular meditation practice.
- Take your inner temperature often. Am I reacting? Why am I reacting?
- The Work by Byron Katie is lovely to help us shift gears.
- Question 1: Is it true?
- Question 2: Can you absolutely know it’s true?
- Question 3: How do you react—what happens—when you believe that thought?
- Question 4: Who would you be without the thought?
- Turn the thought around:
- Books by Dr. Joe Dispenza, Abraham Hicks, Jane Roberts, and Bruce Lipton will help bring a different perspective that will help you repattern your experiences.
By bringing attention and awareness to the areas where we struggle and repeat patterns, we are already changing the stories and experiences manifested from the inside out.
Here’s to slaying that negative ego!
Blessings and Light,